Monday, February 4, 2019

I had contractions for days. Not simple, easy ones. But ones that hurt. I had so much pressure on my pelvis and on my pubic bone. My hip joints were coming a little dislocated at times. It got to the point where I could not get comfortable no matter what. I had given up on the idea of a VBAC because I didn’t want to go through another week of the same symptoms just to have labor possibly not start on it’s own anyway.

On Monday morning, February 4th, at 9:45 am, Jarrod and I went into see my OB, Dr Johnson for my 39 week appointment. He asked me how I was doing and I told him everything. All the pains, contractions, misery that I felt. We had a c-section scheduled for me on February 12th, and he was about to be out of town until then. So he gave me some options. I could either wait til the scheduled date. I could have the other OB do a c-section later in the week. Or I could opt for a c-section that day. I said the sooner the better, and he said he’d see what we could do, and left the room.

When he returned, he said “how about noon?” Jarrod and I agreed, and headed upstairs to L&D. Jarrod made sure I was settled and ran home to get the stuff we needed and get some last minute things situated. While he was gone, the nurses got my IV started, fetal monitoring done, some paperwork and consents signed, and then it was time.

My mom came to witness the birth, but she wasn’t allowed this time. She tried to plead with the nurses but hospital policy wouldn’t let her be there. So she hung out in our hospital room until we returned with a baby.

Jarrod showed up just in time and came down to the OR with me. He was kept out of the OR until I was prepped and ready. They did my spinal. They prepped my body including shaving and starting a catheter. They got me all scrubbed and draped. And then Jarrod was allowed to come in and sit by my head. Then the c-section began.

It took a few minutes for Dr Johnson to get to my uterus, but when he did he let Jarrod know to take photos. The first thing I heard when they saw him was “oh my, what a big head!”

They lowered the drape so I could see him be born as well. And just like that, Felix Riot Hesse was born. It was on February 4th and 12:10pm. He was 9lbs 12oz and 21 1/4 inches long.

The nurse took him and got him all cleaned up and gave him back to me, all swaddled and on my chest.